We are currently looking for a Nuclear Engineer with a background in nuclear reactor thermal-hydraulic code analysis to join our team in our Sykesville, MD Corporate office. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter and have knowledge of plant transient analysis, nuclear power plant thermal-hydraulics, heat transfer and reactor severe accident analysis. This individual will help to create cutting edge safety and training solutions for nuclear reactors around the world.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Model thermal-hydraulic systems of nuclear power plants using industry grade computer codes.
- Understand and analyze customer furnished data (drawings, design specifications, manuals and other text electronic media). Extract information from data to develop requirements or implement design.
- Maintain organized and thorough calculation notes of all engineering design work.
- Employ critical problem solving skills to work through engineering issues experienced during project assignments.
- Coordinate with other project engineers and maintain communication with the customer to remain on schedule.
- Test thermal-hydraulic models to ensure they meet acceptance criteria of the customer and the appropriate nuclear regulating agency.
- Follow standards and procedures identified for assignment. If existing procedures are not sufficient, report issues to supervisors, and identify possible solutions.
- Willing to travel at short notice based on project needs.
- Willing to learn how to achieve a good and professional communication with customers during project implementation.
- Willing to collaboration with R&D to improve the software tools and provide input/feedback.
- Willing to learn a suite of simulation software beyond thermal-hydraulic models like control/logic and other aspect of simulation.
- Maintain a positive work attitude, a high level of communication and cordial relations that foster teamwork across project, offices, and company as a whole.
- Learn Company’s tools products, manuals and procedures applicable to assignment.
- Provide documentation to the appropriate project manager for all development phases as required by project.
- Participate in various design reviews and bring follow-up action items to closure.
- Consults with users to identify current operating procedures and to clarify program objectives.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Nuclear Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related field
- GPA of 3.0 or above (if less than 3 years of experience)
- Minimum of strong classroom, project, internship or work experience with plant transient analysis, plant thermal-hydraulics and/or reactor safety analysis
- Experience with RELAP, MAAP, TRAC, TRACE or MELCOR is required. RELAP or MAAP experience strongly preferred
- Experience with Linux based operating systems is recommended
- Experience with computer programming. Fortran and/or C++ is strongly preferred
- Experience with core neutronics codes is recommended
- Willingness to learn quickly and step outside of assigned role to help the project or team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25% of the time